Sweet potato coconut garlic soup
Thick and creamy sweet potato coconut garlic soup - a guaranteed crowd pleaser when temperatures drop and all you want is a comforting bowl of soup.
Servings 4 -6 people
- Extra virgin coconut oil
- 3 C / 450 g yellow onions, finely diced
- 2 whole heads roasted garlic
- 1 thumb-sized piece fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 1/2 lbs / 1135 g baked sweet potato
- 1 can 14 fl. oz. / 400 ml full fat coconut milk
- 4 C / 1 L chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 4 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil (optional, but adds a nice 'fullness' to the soup)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Season to taste with fine grain pink Himalayan salt or sea salt and fine ground black pepper (I find that this soup needs quite a bit of salt to truly taste its best - I usually end up using 3-5 tsp and about 1 tsp of black pepper)
- Optional garnish - coconut chips, chopped cilantro and red chili flakes
In a pot, heat some coconut oil over medium/high heat.
Add onions and cook until they start to brown.
Add baked garlic cloves (please remember to save the garlic peels for your broth scrap bag!) and ginger and cook for a few minutes.
Add baked sweet potato, coconut milk and broth.
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and let soup cook until ginger is soft and cooked through (typically around 10-15 minutes).
Add red chili flakes.
Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until creamy and velvety smooth.
Add coconut oil if using and season to taste with salt and pepper (...and remember - don't be shy on the salt! Salt is an amazing flavor enhancer and if you wan't your food to taste the best possible, don't under-salt it).