Ground beef salad with garlic-oregano vinaigrette
The ground beef salad with garlic-oregano vinaigrette is a light, yet filling meal salad with great flavors from caramelized onions, loads of garlic, oregano and a nice touch of tangy apple cider vinegar.
- Ghee or extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb / 225 g ground beef (you can use ground chicken too)
- 4 C / 600 g yellow onions, finely diced
- Season to taste with fine grain pink Himalayan salt or sea salt, fine ground black pepper, garlic powder, a pinch of red chili flakes and lemon juice
- 4 C / 1 L (loosely packed) leafy greens (lettuce mix, arugula, baby spinach, etc.)
- 2 small/medium zucchini, cut Julienne or spiralized
- 1 large carrot, cut Julienne or spiralized
- 1 C / 250 ml apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 C / 125 ml mild-tasting extra virgin olive oil
- 4-8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tsp dried oregano
- Fine grain pink Himalayan salt or sea salt to taste
Heat a large deep pan (I use a sauté pan) over medium/high heat and add some ghee or olive oil.
Sautée onions until brown, caramelized and slightly crispy – this typically takes 15-20 minutes. Stir often. Turn down the heat some, if the onions start to burn.
Add ground beef and brown thoroughly.
Add a little bit of all the seasonings.
Let the beef cook through.
Season to taste - don't go to heavy on the garlic, since there'll be a lot of garlic flavor in the vinaigrette.
STORAGE AND SHELF LIFE
The ground beef stores well in the fridge for 4-5 days and freezes well too.
The salad ingredients store well in the fridge for 3-4 days.
The vinaigrette stores well in the fridge for about a week. If it separates a bit, just shake together before using.
All in all a very food prep / meal prep friendly dish too!